Churchill Borough History
Robert McCrea purchased 354 acres of land in 1773. Possession of the land passed to his brother William McCrea in 1807. William built a spacious farmhouse called "Dundee Farm". That land is the current address of Viacom.
Farming, limestone and coal mining were the chief industries in this area, known as Pitt Township. The high ridge east of Wilkinsburg was named Lime Hill, because of the kilns that burned constantly.
During the Revolutionary War, soldiers worshipped with local residents at Bullock Pens Church. The church, pulpit and benches were built of logs. Its name was changed to Beulah Church in 1804. The Chapel, designated a Historical Landmark, was built in 1837. The graves of thirty-five Revolutionary War soldiers and thirty-four Civil War soldiers are in the cemetery behind the Chapel. The large church was built in 1956.
The first subscription library west of the Allegheny Mountains was started at Beulah Church in 1814. Admission was by the purchase of one $2.50 share. The annual fee was $1.00.
In the early twenties a one-room schoolhouse was located on Brown Avenue Extention (Beulah Road). Lincoln School had four grades, a big coal burner in the corner and an outhouse fifty feet behind the building.
A group of residents seceded from Wilkins Township and formed Churchill Borough on January 1, 1934. The first Burgess was J. M. Hollander; the first Magistrate was Attorney Robert W. Fahringer. He also served as Burgess from 1938-1940. Karl Staub was Magistrate from 1936 until his death in 1945. Both Fahringer and Staub were sworn into office by Governor Pinchot.
The property purchased by organizers of St. John Fisher Church was a former government Nike Site. The church was dedicated on May 31, 1963.
Churchill Borough has one park named Bullock Pens Park on McCrady Road, so named because the Revolutionary War soldiers kept cattle in pens for food.